Here is why two scary insights for wireless / mobile network service providers are a golden path for you and I. First the setup.
- Arieso, one the of world’s leading providers of mobile network management software solutions, just released the results of a new study, “Recent Smartphone Trends & the Extreme Data Use”, that showed on average an iPhone 4S owner devours twice as much data as those who own the iPhone 4 or iPad.
- If you’re a carrier that doesn’t have a heavy iPhone presence the picture isn’t any less scary. There seems to be no slow down in the “extreme” user consumption rate, just 1% of all smartphone users consume half of all downloaded data.
Bad news for some; Good for others
The evidence shows an accelerating demand for ever increasingly sophisticated devices. A demand driven by people’s desire to gather the information they want when they want it. For those businesses that have taken mobile, or more precisely inbound marketing, seriously over the last few year it looks like 2012 is the start of the harvest.
For those that haven’t, don’t you think now is the time to revaluate your business model? Especially, your customer relationship building block.
Why? From your customer’s point of view the cost of coordination around learning about something new or shopping for something new thanks to the internet (search engines, blogs, and social media) is now much lower than:
- treks to physical locations
- email or phone polls of friends/advisors/tribes
- crossing one’s fingers and hoping it’s a good deal
That’s nice, but what about the cost?
Being a quant (numbers) guy at my core I had to investigate the figures. What I discovered was confirmed by a HubSpot study on where they surveyed over 600 businesses about their average cost per lead via different marketing channels. The results showed that the average spend for outbound techniques was $373 while the average investment utilizing an inbound methodology was only $143 per lead. 62%, that’s how much less an inbound model required than the traditional advertising / marketing paradigm.
Figure out how you can deliver valuable insights that helps you “get found” by people already learning about and shopping in your industry.
Note: You can find more extracts and request a copy of the mobile usage study from Arieso’s site.
Be sure to follow me on Google+ at +Donald McMichael